Former President J.A Kufuor has accepted ex President Rawlings’ apology after he asked the former to forgive him for insulting him.
Mr Rawlings on Monday apologised to his colleague former leaders John Agyekum Kufuor and John Mahama over the use of “inappropriate” words against them.
He at a meeting with chiefs and elders from Mepe in the Volta Region last week used derogatory words against the two former presidents.
Rawlings, who has been critical of the duo, described former President Kufuor as ‘evil’ and Mahama as a ‘rogue’ who destroyed the country.
He said: “I know with my integrity when I die, I will go to heaven but when I see these corrupt leaders, I will ask permission from God and flog them.
“If they don’t leave heaven for me, I will go and leave the heavens and join Satan in hell because I cannot stay in the same place with them,” Mr Rawlings stated.
Barely a week after spewing those comments, Mr. Rawlings has issued a statement to withdraw his choice of words saying he deems the words inappropriate.
Ex President Kufuor in a statement accepted the apology and went ahead to clear his name of allegations leveled against him by his predecessor.
- He has never divested any state property to himself or his family members.
- All the divestiture of state properties and enterprises that took place during his tenure in office was done legally and according to laid-down procedures, rules, and regulations, and to the utmost benefit of the people of Ghana.
- President Kufuor never tried to unduly influence the promotion or appointment into the security services, more so, based on tribe. Emphatically, in his government policies, he never used tribalism in serving the regions and tribes of Ghana.
- As to Heaven, it is only God who decides who goes there or not.
- Finally, as to the creation of the medal the Order of the Black Star and Eagles of Ghana, President Kufuor believes that it is the prerogative of the president of the state to make such a creation and he as such did so as the exclusive title of presidents when they attain that unique office. President Nkrumah had created all the others upon Ghana attaining independence.